Determining whether a meal is healthy can be complicated depending who you ask. In this case, however, there isn’t much to debate. The primary ingredients (cauliflower, kale and avocado) are all nutritional powerhouses and PCOS-fighters. By pureeing vegetables like cauliflower you can achieve a creamy soup without dairy or flour. In addition, unlike many soups this recipe is very low in sodium. Roasting the cauliflower, garlic and onion first helps achieve a richer flavor (and makes your home smell really good!). I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments below!
- 1 cauliflower head, broken into florets
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped into large chunks
- 4 whole garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil (& extra to drizzle as garnish)
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 4 cups water (approx.)
- A few handfuls of kale torn into chunks, organic if possible
- 1 avocado, chopped
- salt to taste (I didn’t add any)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a small bowl mix the olive oil, thyme and cumin.
- In a large bowl drizzle the olive oil mixture over cauliflower, onion, and garlic, and then toss all together to coat vegetables.
- Transfer all to a baking sheet and cook in oven about 20 min or longer. The garlic may need to be taken out before the rest.
- Once cauliflower is golden, remove from oven and turn oven off.
- Blend cauliflower, onion and garlic in a blender or food processor adding water until smooth. Transfer to pot on stove on low heat and simmer.
- Blend avocado and kale with water until smooth.
- Add avo/kale mixture to the pot on the stove.
- Serve once you have reached your desired consistency (adding water to thin it).
- Optional: Throw seeds or nuts on it for extra protein.
- cauliflower = anti-inflammatory, low on the glycemic index, & contains sulforaphane which improves blood pressure, kidney function and may prevent cancer
- avocado = helps lower LDL “bad” cholesterol, low on the glycemic index, high in fiber, & high in B-complex vitamins which combat stress
- kale = anti-inflammatory, high in fiber, & high in calcium which is important for egg maturation and follicle development
- garlic = helps lower cholesterol, an antibiotic, & blood cleanser which relaxes blood vessels for easier blood flow
- onion = promotes liver detoxification, improves digestion & is high in chromium which helps maintain healthy blood glucose levels
If you want to get my blog posts straight to your inbox, keep scrolling to find the button to follow my blog!