Some of my joys of fall include: leaves turning and falling to the ground, cool breezes, invigorating hikes, cozy sweaters, hot tea, pumpkin patches and rich, aromatic flavours. Most coffee shops sell their version of a pumpkin spice latte this time of year. Unfortunately, these drinks often don’t even include any pumpkin! Additionally, syrups are often used with chemicals that are believed to be carcinogenic. Since I love pumpkin spice, I made this flavourful treat using plant-based ingredients with healing properties that provide nourishment and satisfaction.
- 1 cup pumpkin puree, frozen
- 4 dates
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tsp pumpkin spice mix (cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, all spice)
- toppings: coconut, etc.
- Throw all ingredients in a blender and voila! Putting in almond milk first blends easiest.
- pumpkin = high in antioxidants, high in fiber, may help boost your immune system and contains beta-carotene which may help prevent cancer
- chia seeds = high in fiber, protein, omega 3s, and has been shown to decrease blood pressure and inflammation
- cinnamon = may help balance glucose levels, lower cholesterol, and decrease triglycerides in blood